Nottingham Trent University releases reminder about importance of fire safety

The University has produced a video to be played to students about the importance of fire safety in student accommodation and other NTU property.

The video educates new and current students on how to stay safe whilst cooking and living their day to day life around the university.

Alex Graham, Interim Fire Safety Manager at Nottingham Trent University said: “Students just like employees have a duty of care for themselves whilst on NTU property.”

“For many students this is their first time away from home and making the video around such issues as cooking safely and not to mess with the buildings fire safety features is an important message to reinforce in the students mind.”

“The video is designed to be played at the start of each term to reinforce the fire safety message and keep it fresh in their minds.”

This follows increasing concerns after fire engulfed The Cube student accommodation in Bolton in November last year where 220 students had to be re-homed.

It has been reported that cladding was largely responsible for the fire in Bolton, similar to the cladding which was replaced at Nottingham Trent’s Byron accommodation in 2018 following the Grenfell Tower disaster.

Steven Mackenzie, Independent fire and safety expert said: “Common issues in student accommodation include unwanted or false fire alarms, illicit or prohibited smoking, poor or inadequate maintenance, malicious fire alarm activations and poor house keeping.”

“The Bolton fire was very scary but not an unknown occurrence.”

“Universities need to provide guidance on fire safety.”

By Jessica Goddard

Feature image credit: NTU

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *